Official: No chance of more NZ quake survivors
Wednesday, March 02, 2022 11:29 PM

Related Stories



(Source: Associated Press/AP Online)By STEVE McMORRAN

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - New Zealand declared the effort to find anyone else alive in the rubble of last week's massive earthquake to be over Thursday, saying no one who was trapped could have survived this long.

Families of more than 200 people listed as missing after the quake devastated the southern city of Christchurch on Feb. 22 had been holding out hope that a remarkable survival story would yet emerge. Officials say many of those listed as missing are among 161 bodies recovered but that have not yet been identified.

"We now face the reality that there is no chance that anyone could have survived this long, and efforts have to shift to the recovery of loved ones and their return to their families," Civil Defense Emergency Management national controller John Hamilton told a news conference Thursday.

"As time has gone on, the chance of finding someone alive has diminished and, sadly, there becomes a point where the response effort shifts in focus from rescue to body recovery," he said. "We have now reached that point."

Among the missing and presumed dead are dozens of foreigners, most of them students and staff of an English language school that was in an office building that collapsed completely in the disaster.

Rescuers pulled 70 people from the rubble in the first 26 hours after the quake struck just before 1 p.m. on Feb. 22, but no one has been found alive since.

Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker said New Zealanders' hearts went out to the families of those missing both locally and from overseas.

"It is a terrible day," he said. "It has been a tragic event and it has been something that none of us ever wanted or wished or even believed could happen in our city. So our thoughts, our hearts, our city, is with each and everyone of you."

Two Israeli backpackers were the first foreigners named among the dead, as the painstaking work of confirming the identities of scores of others gained pace.

The process of identifying the victims has been slowed by the extensive injuries to people who were crushed, and by the task of picking through the vast amount of rubble left behind by the magnitude 6.3 temblor.

Police Superintendent Sam Hoyle said Thursday that one more body had been found overnight, taking the overall count to 161, though just 13 have been publicly identified. Many other people remain missing, and officials have said the final death toll could be more than 200.

Hoyle said 90 of the bodies found so far were pulled from the Canterbury Television building, which housed a regional broadcaster and other offices including the language school, which taught students from Japan, China, the Philippines and other nations.

He said police and those responsible for identifying bodies had met victims families to explain why the process of was proceeding so slowly.

Superintendent Russell Gibson, another police commander involved in the recovery operation, said Thursday work had finally started at the collapsed bell tower of the Christchurch cathedral, which had to be braced before crews could enter. Up to 22 bodies may be buried in the rubble.

Other parts of the city were slowly returning to normal, though many of the 350,000 residents still have cut or limited water and power supplies and are using thousands of portable toilets deployed on street corners because of damage to the sewage system.

A service of YellowBrix, Inc.

 

Sponsors

Symbol :

Advertisement

Market news:

  • NASA declares contingency in satellite launch Mar 04, 2022 06:25 AM

    • VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. - Nasa officials are putting in place a contingency plan in the launch of a rocket that blasted off carrying an Earth-observation satellite.
    • Vandenberg Air Force Base officials say the Taurus XL rocket carrying NASA's Glory satellite lifted off about 2:10 a.m. PST Friday from the base.
    • But Nasa launch commentator George Dillar said minutes later that a payload faring didn't separate from the Glory spacecraft.
      • Gadhafi troops deploy ahead of Tripoli protests Mar 04, 2022 05:47 AM

        • TRIPOLI, Libya - Fighters loyal to Moammar Gadhafi set up checkpoints in Tripoli, searching cars, ahead of planned anti-government protests Friday, raising fears of new bloodshed in the Libyan capital where a heavy crackdown the past week has spread fear among residents.
        • Internet services, which have been spotty throughout Libya's upheaval, appeared to be halted completely in Tripoli on Friday, as well as in Benghazi, the opposition's stronghold in the east.
        • The extent of the cutoff was not clear.
          • Pakistani PM praises slain Christian at memorial Mar 04, 2022 05:42 AM

            • ISLAMABAD - Pakistan's prime minister told mourners at a Friday funeral Mass for a Christian politician assassinated for opposing harsh blasphemy laws that they had a lost a great leader and that the government would do its "utmost" to bring his killers to justice.
            • Shahbaz Bhatti, the sole Christian government minister, was shot dead Wednesday after being threatened for opposing laws that impose the death penalty for insulting Islam.
            • Also Friday, a bomb went off in a mosque in northwest Pakistan, killing eight people and wounding 25 around prayer time.
              • NASA launches latest Earth-orbiting satellite Mar 04, 2022 05:33 AM

                • VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. - A rocket carrying an Earth-observation satellite has blasted off.
                • Vandenberg Air Force Base officials say the Taurus XL rocket carrying NASA's Glory satellite lifted off at 2:09 a.m. PST Friday from the base.
                • Besides monitoring particles in the atmosphere, it will also track solar radiation to determine the sun's effect on climate change.
                  • Police: Bomb kills 5 at Pakistani mosque Mar 04, 2022 04:33 AM

                    • PESHAWAR, Pakistan - A police official says a bomb blast has killed five worshippers at a mosque in northwestern Pakistan.
                    • Saif Ali Khan says Friday's blast in Akbarpura village in Nowshera district also wounded several people.
                    • THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE.

                      More news


Advertisement

    Recent Estimates

AnalystFirm NameSymbolEPS Estimate
XXXXXXXXXX JOYG$1.06
XXXXXXXXXX SLW$0.29
XXXXXXXXXX FCX$1.23
PhidoPhido's Personal Investments DANG$0.02
XXXXXXXXXX IDCC$0.79
XXXXXXXXXX HPQ$1.29
davidgmllc JTX$0.33
XXXXXXXXXX TRW$1.23
XXXXXXXXXX SDRL$0.77
XXXXXXXXXX PMI($0.68)