Police say Bellagio bandit returned after heist
Thursday, February 03, 2022 9:21 PM

Related Stories



(Source: Associated Press/AP Online)By OSKAR GARCIA

LAS VEGAS - A helmeted bandit who escaped the Bellagio with $1.5 million in chips during a daring gunpoint heist returned to the scene of the crime several times before his luck finally ran out, police said Thursday.

"He likes to gamble," Las Vegas police Lt. Ray Steiber said as he described for reporters how Anthony M. Carleo, 29, the son of a Las Vegas judge, was nabbed late Wednesday on the same casino floor at the Bellagio resort.

Carleo wasn't armed and offered no resistance when he was taken into custody. Steiber wouldn't say whether Carleo was trying to sell the hot casino chips.

The arrest was part of an undercover police investigation, a person familiar with the investigation told The Associated Press. The person declined to be named because he was not authorized to publicly provide details about the case.

Police recovered $900,000 in chips, and can account for $1.2 million, Steiber said. He said police were still looking for the black Suzuki GSXR they say Carleo used to make his getaway in the pre-dawn hours of Dec. 14. The police lieutenant wouldn't say whether police still believe the same man robbed the Suncoast casino in northwest Las Vegas at gunpoint early Dec. 8, although police previously said the same person was suspected in both heists.

Carleo's father, Las Vegas Municipal Court Judge George Assad, issued a statement through a publicist saying he and his family were "devastated and heartbroken to see my son arrested under these circumstances."

Assad said that as a working judge, he couldn't comment about "any pending legal matter as it relates to anyone, including my son."

"I can say that as a prosecutor and a judge, I have always felt people who break the law need to be held accountable," he added.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Carleo had a lawyer.

Carleo is a former real estate broker and student who declared bankruptcy in Colorado in May 2009. On his bankruptcy filing, he listed among his personal belongings a .40-caliber Taurus pistol.

His bankruptcy filing said Carleo received at least $19,000 from his father over a three year period, but owed nearly $188,000 in various debts. The case was closed seven months later, and a lawyer from the firm that represented him then said Thursday that they are not representing him now.

Voting records in 2010 showed that Carleo lived at the same address as his father in Las Vegas.

Jail records showed Carleo was being held under the name Anthony M. Assad. The name was also used in Carleo's bankruptcy filing.

His bail was set at $15,000 on felony armed robbery and burglary charges. Court spokeswoman Mary Ann Price said he was due for an initial appearance in Las Vegas Justice Court on Monday.

Carleo won't be required to appear when a judge reviews the charges against him on Friday, Price said.

A police statement early Thursday said Carleo would face a drug trafficking charge. But Steiber told reporters that officials ultimately decided not to seek that charge. He didn't say why.

Experts and police noted after the heist that stealing $1.5 million in chips isn't like stealing $1.5 million in cash.

Chips are unique to casino properties and are generally not interchangeable, although state regulations let casino companies redeem sister properties' chips with some restrictions.

After the heist, Bellagio announced plans to discontinue the casino's $25,000 chips in April, setting a deadline for the thief to try to use them. Police have not said whether Carleo tried to redeem the chips - which ranged from $100 to $25,000 - before his arrest.

Steiber said investigators followed numerous tips in the case, and on Dec. 23 interviewed a Salvation Army bell ringer who tried to cash a $25,000 Bellagio chip. He told police that a man he didn't know put the chip in his pocket while he was manning a charity collection bucket.

Bellagio officials won't say whether MGM Resorts International properties, which include the posh hotel-casino on the Strip known for its fountains, are among Las Vegas casinos that embed radio frequency devices inside the tokens.

Police say it took less than three minutes for the robber to pull off the heist.

He entered the casino from Flamingo Road, strode fewer than 500 feet to a craps table, brandished the handgun at the 10 to 12 patrons and three or four dealers with chips piled on the green felt, scooped up the loot and ran.

Casino security officers didn't confront the robber, but a ceiling security video camera followed his path out the door. Police say a 911 call was placed to police while the man was still in the casino.

He was gone by the time police arrived.

---

Associated Press writers Cristina Silva and Ken Ritter contributed to this report.

A service of YellowBrix, Inc.

 

Sponsors

Symbol :

Advertisement

Market news:

  • Al-Jazeera's offices torched amid Egypt unrest Feb 04, 2022 03:38 PM

    • PARIS - Al-Jazeera's offices in Cairo were stormed and torched and its website hacked Friday, the Arab broadcaster said, as a top U.N. rights official called attacks on journalists "a blatant attempt to stifle news" about pro-democracy protest.
    • The Qatar-based television network Al-Jazeera said its Cairo office was burned along with the equipment inside it, and called the attack an attempt by Egypt's regime or its supporters to hinder its coverage of the uprising in Egypt.
    • Many correspondents covering the bloody street fights in Egypt have suffered violent attacks: a Swedish journalist is recovering from being stabbed in the back, and Czech public television is withdrawing its TV crew from Egypt because of what it called "unprecedented" attacks on reporters.
      • US intelligence on Arab unrest draws criticism Feb 04, 2022 03:35 PM

        • WASHINGTON - U.S. intelligence agencies are drawing criticism from the Oval Office and Capitol Hill that they failed to warn of revolts in Egypt and the downfall of an American ally in Tunisia.
        • President Barack Obama sent word to National Intelligence Director James Clapper that he was "disappointed with the intelligence community" over its failure to predict the outbreak of demonstrations would lead to the ouster of President Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali in Tunis, according to one U.S. official familiar with the exchanges, which were expressed to Clapper through White House staff.
        • The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss matters of intelligence, said there was little warning before Egypt's riots as well.
          • Ron Reagan: Palin has nothing in common with dad Feb 04, 2022 03:32 PM

            • LOS ANGELES - Sarah Palin is honoring one Reagan and offending another with the same speech.
            • The former Alaska governor is scheduled to speak in Santa Barbara, Calif., on Friday at a tribute to former President Ronald Reagan - just one of the celebrations marking the centennial of the 40th president's birth on Feb. 6.
            • But his son, Ron Reagan, tells The Associated Press he doesn't see anything in common between his dad and the 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate, who was invited to speak by the event's sponsor, the conservative Young America's Foundation.
              • Sen. Hatch: Kagan should sit out health care case Feb 04, 2022 03:28 PM

                • WASHINGTON - Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch, an opponent of the recently enacted health care overhaul, says Justice Elena Kagan should not take part in the widely expected Supreme Court consideration of the new law.
                • Hatch's call is part of the broad legal and political maneuvering on both sides for the most favorable conditions surrounding court review of President Barack Obama's signature domestic policy accomplishment.
                • Hatch said he is sure that Kagan participated in discussions about the law and challenges to it while she served in the Justice Department as Obama's top Supreme Court lawyer.
                  • Bruno Mars gets date for Vegas cocaine plea deal Feb 04, 2022 03:28 PM

                    • LAS VEGAS - Pop star Bruno Mars told a Las Vegas judge Friday that he'll plead guilty in state court on Valentine's Day to a felony cocaine charge that would be wiped from his record if he stays out of trouble for a year.
                    • Mars, whose real name is Peter Hernandez, and a trio of defense lawyers agreed not to contest police accounts that he possessed 2.6 grams of cocaine when he was arrested early Sept. 19 after a Las Vegas nightclub performance.
                    • The 25-year-old singer-songwriter is nominated for seven Grammy awards including best male pop vocal.

                      More news


Advertisement

    Recent Estimates

AnalystFirm NameSymbolEPS Estimate
XXXXXXXXXX CGNX$0.43
XXXXXXXXXX LVS$0.38
XXXXXXXXXX NFLX$0.71
ABN SkateNFC AMZN$0.88
XXXXXXXXXX AKAM$0.28
XXXXXXXXXX LVS$0.38
ASAS BAC$0.19
danPersonal BAC$0.19
samXXXXX JCI$0.54
brobbrinc INTC$0.53