Roundup: Indonesia's crackdown on militants seems to draw retaliation
Thursday, September 23, 2021 3:01 AM

Related Stories



JAKARTA, Sep. 23, 2010 (Xinhua News Agency) -- Indonesian police crackdown against militants in the country has apparently drawn a retaliation from those who may aim to show their existence.

On Wednesday evening, three police officers were fatally shot in a police office in North Sumatra province after anti-terror police squad killed three militants in the province and Lampung province on Sunday.

Although police have not confirmed yet that the Wednesday's attacks as a retaliation, but they said that the perpetrators of over ten gunmen were parts of the terrorist network in North Sumatra province linked with the terrorist cells in the provinces of Aceh and West Java.

The attacks has led the police in North Sumatra province to impose high alert. Most of the police station, particularly those at critical areas, such as in the borders with other provinces would be reinforced.

National Police chief General Bambang Hendarso Danuri has said that the attackers at the police station were militants, they have been well-trained for assassinating to officials, including police.

"They have already had a concept of assassination against officials and assault on police posts at remote areas," said Hendarso.

The police chief revealed that there were 33 members of the group in North Sumatra, which three of whom have been killed and 16 others have been arrested.

The militant group had engaged in a series of bank and money changer robberies since April in North Sumatra province, and the most spectacular one was the bank robbery at CIMB Niaga in Medan, the capital of the province, on Sept. 13, which then led the police to paralyze them and uncover their network on the Sunday's crackdown, said Hendarso.

The acts aimed at financing their movement such as purchasing weaponry, he said. During raids on Sunday, the police seized TNT, high-powered weapons which will be used for the next plots, said Hendarso.

Some of the militants had been trained in Afghanistan and other conflict area, National Police Spokesman Iskandar Hasan has said.

Former intelligence chief Henropriyono said that the militants may have shifted the way of funding from overseas to local source through robbery as the authorities have blocked the channel for overseas donators.

After the crackdown on the network of militants following the last major suicide bombings on the twin luxurious hotels in Jakarta last year, the militants seem to keep developing and expanding their networks as the police have revealed more than one hundreds people involved in terror training in Aceh province and terror cell in West Java in February and August.

The militants had conducted a military-style terror training in Aceh province before the police raided them in February and captured 102 militants. Some of them have been brought to justice. Then the police foiled a terror plot on foreign targets and top officials as they raided a scores of militants on their hideouts in West Java in August.

Indonesia has been suffered from terrorist attacks since 2000, including bombings at churches, suicide bombings in night clubs in Bali and the recent twin luxurious hotels in Jakarta, killing more than 250 people.

The country has cracked down the militant network across the nation, scores of militant top figures have been captured or shot dead, dozens of terrorist suspects have also been detained and brought to justice.

 

Sponsors

Symbol :

Advertisement

Market news:

  • 2 known dead, 12 missing after storm soaks Jamaica Sep 29, 2021 06:54 PM

    • KINGSTON, Jamaica - Tropical Storm Nicole caused flooding and mudslides across Jamaica on Wednesday, leaving two confirmed dead and at least 12 more missing, even as the drenching system moved north and dissipated over the Florida straits.
    • The outer bands of the storm hammered Jamaica, toppling bridges and knocking out power to thousands.
    • Many streets were filled with gushing brown torrents of water, prompting Prime Minister Bruce Golding to urge people to stay indoors.
      • Atty: Whitman knew housekeeper was in US illegally Sep 29, 2021 06:38 PM

        • LOS ANGELES - A former housekeeper for Meg Whitman claimed Wednesday that the California GOP gubernatorial candidate was notified by the federal government seven years ago that she might be in the country illegally, but did nothing about it.
        • The allegations were made by the housekeeper, Nicky Diaz, and her attorney, Gloria Allred of Los Angeles, a longtime Democratic supporter who once gave money to Whitman's opponent, Democrat Jerry Brown.
        • Diaz worked for Whitman from 2000 to 2009, when she was fired.
          • Drugs before surgery help women avoid mastectomies Sep 29, 2021 06:21 PM

            • Taking hormone-blocking pills for a few months before breast cancer surgery can shrink tumors and allow many women to have just the lump removed instead of the whole breast, a new study suggests.
            • It won't change practice right away; a second study is starting to try to repeat the results and identify which drugs work best.
            • "Half of them wound up having successful breast-conserving therapy," said Dr. John Olson, breast cancer surgery chief at Duke University.
              • Woman pleads not guilty in Wash. in acid hoax case Sep 29, 2021 06:21 PM

                • VANCOUVER, Wash. - Her face red and blotchy but largely unbandaged, a 28-year-old Vancouver woman pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges arising from her false claim that a stranger splashed acid in her face.
                • Bethany Storro has confessed that she made up the story about the facial burns she suffered Aug. 30, saying she put drain cleaner on her face trying to kill herself.
                • The case drew national attention to the recently divorced woman who works for a grocery chain, and brought in nearly $28,000 in donations to help with medical bills.
                  • Terror plot in Europe prompted drone strikes Sep 29, 2021 06:21 PM

                    • LONDON - Security officials said Wednesday a terror plot to wage Mumbai-style shooting sprees or other attacks in Britain, France and Germany is still active and that recent CIA strikes in Pakistan were aimed at al-Qaida operatives suspected in the threat.
                    • "This plot was in its embryonic stages," a British government official told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of his work.
                    • Some details about the plot came from Ahmed Siddiqui, a German citizen of Afghan background who was captured in Afghanistan in July, a U.S. official said.

                      More news


Advertisement

    Recent Estimates

AnalystFirm NameSymbolEPS Estimate
XXXXXXXXXX CREE$0.54
gofasterstripesMr Lak CTXS$0.25
XXXXXXXXXX TOT$1.52
XXXXXXXXXX FDS$0.80
XXXXXXXXXX FDX$1.21
XXXXXXXXXX BRLI$0.28
anamrdaNA JNJ$1.15
XXXXXXXXXX SDRL$0.64
XXXXXXXXXX AXP$0.83
XXXXXXXXXX KWK$0.16