US: Dead in Afghan chopper crash were all American
Thursday, September 23, 2021 1:08 AM

Related Stories



(Source: Associated Press/AP Online)By ERIC TALMADGE

KABUL, Afghanistan - All nine troops killed in a helicopter crash earlier this week - the worst for the coalition forces in four years - were Americans, the Pentagon confirmed, although it refused to provide further information on why the aircraft went down.

NATO said there were no reports of enemy fire in a rugged area in the Daychopan district of Zabul province, where the crash took place on Tuesday. But Taliban spokesman Qari Yousef Ahmadi told The Associated Press by telephone that insurgents shot down the helicopter.

The Taliban often exaggerate their claims and sometimes take credit for accidents.

The U.S. Defense Department released the identities of the troops late Wednesday, saying four were sailors and the rest were soldiers.

Fort Campbell spokesman Rick Rzepka said that the five soldiers were assigned to the 101st Combat Aviation Brigade.

Tuesday's crash was the deadliest since May 2006, when a Chinook helicopter went down while attempting a nighttime landing on a small mountaintop in eastern Kunar province, killing 10 U.S. troops.

Aircraft are used extensively in Afghanistan by both NATO and the Afghan government forces to transport and supply troops because the terrain is mountainous and roads are few and primitive.

Lacking shoulder-fired missiles and other anti-aircraft weapons, the Taliban rely mostly on machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades to fire at aircraft during takeoffs and landings.

Most helicopter crashes in the country have been accidents caused by maintenance problems or factors such as dust.

On Wednesday, NATO said insurgents attacked a NATO and Afghan army outpost in eastern Afghanistan near the Pakistan border and at least 25 of the militants were killed in the resulting skirmish.

Troops at the combat outpost in the Spera district of Khost province returned fire with mortars late Tuesday, killing 25 to 30 insurgents, NATO said in a statement. Initial reports found there were no civilian casualties, it said.

Gen. Raz Mohmmad Horya Khil, a senior commander of the Afghan National Army in the province, said 29 insurgents were killed. There were no casualties among NATO or Afghan troops, he said.

Horya Khil said the attack, coming from the Pakistan side of the border, was directed at the Mir Safar joint-NATO and Afghan army camp and lasted for more than two hours.

Bodies and weapons on the field were being recovered, he said.

Also Wednesday, a NATO service member was killed by a homemade bomb in southern Afghanistan.

NATO provided no further details, but the Danish military announced in Copenhagen that the bomb blast killed a Danish soldier and seriously wounded another. The two members of the Royal Life Guards were on foot patrol in Helmand province when the bomb went off, it said.

Denmark has more than 700 troops serving in the NATO-led force. Most are based in Helmand province.

A service of YellowBrix, Inc.

 

Sponsors

Symbol :

Advertisement

Market news:

  • Maine gov. candidate: I'd tell Obama to go to hell Sep 29, 2021 05:09 PM

    • PORTLAND, Maine - Republican gubernatorial candidate Paul LePage told a group of fishermen at a GOP forum that he won't be afraid to tell President Barack Obama to "go to hell."
    • LePage, a favorite of tea partiers, told The Associated Press on Wednesday that he regretted the words he chose Sunday in the small coastal town of Brooksville but that he wasn't backing down in his criticism of the administration for what he describes as free-spending, antibusiness policies.
    • A Democratic Party official said it showed LePage is hotheaded and ill-suited to govern.
      • Congress punts tough choices until after election Sep 29, 2021 05:09 PM

        • WASHINGTON - A deeply unpopular Congress is bolting for the campaign trail without finishing its most basic job - approving a budget for the government year that begins on Friday.
        • With their House and Senate majorities on the line, Democratic leaders called off votes and even debates on all controversial matters.
        • One foot out the door, the House and Senate convened just long enough to vote on a "continuing resolution," a stopgap measure to keep the government in operating funds for the next two months and avoid a pre-election federal shutdown.
          • Medical experts doubt Lockerbie bomber's prognosis Sep 29, 2021 05:02 PM

            • WASHINGTON - Scotland's prognosis that the Lockerbie bomber had three months to live was not justified, medical experts told Congress on Wednesday, and a senator questioned whether the process was deliberately manipulated to pave the way for the bomber's release from prison last year.
            • Suffering from advanced prostate cancer, al-Megrahi was released on compassionate grounds in August 2009 by Scotland's government.
            • He returned to Libya, outraging people on both sides of the Atlantic.
              • 30 Gulf cartel suspects captured in north Mexico Sep 29, 2021 04:54 PM

                • MEXICO CITY - Mexican marines captured 30 suspected Gulf cartel members and seized an arsenal of weapons during two days of raids in a northern border state torn by drug gang battles, officials announced Wednesday.
                • The marines, acting on intelligence obtained by the navy and other agencies, conducted the raids in Matamoros and Reynosa, two cities across the border from Texas in the state of Tamaulipas, Rear Adm. Jose Luis Vergara said.
                • The 30 suspects, including one woman, were paraded before reporters at an air base in Mexico City, handcuffed and flanked by masked marines in black-and-white combat gear.
                  • Medical experts challenge prognosis for bomber Sep 29, 2021 04:49 PM

                    • WASHINGTON - Scotland's prognosis that the Lockerbie bomber had three months to live was not justified, medical experts told Congress on Wednesday, and a senator questioned whether the process was deliberately manipulated so pave the way for the bomber's release from prison last year.
                    • Suffering from advanced prostate cancer, al-Megrahi was released on compassionate grounds in August 2009 by Scotland's government.
                    • He returned to Libya, outraging people on both sides of the Atlantic.

                      More news


Advertisement

    Recent Estimates

AnalystFirm NameSymbolEPS Estimate
XXXXXXXXXX CREE$0.54
gofasterstripesMr Lak CTXS$0.25
XXXXXXXXXX TOT$1.52
XXXXXXXXXX FDS$0.80
XXXXXXXXXX FDX$1.21
XXXXXXXXXX BRLI$0.28
anamrdaNA JNJ$1.15
XXXXXXXXXX SDRL$0.64
XXXXXXXXXX AXP$0.83
XXXXXXXXXX KWK$0.16